Gray-Campbell Farmstead


An original project to save and restore the oldest house in Springfield, circa 1856, built by James Price Gray and sold to John Polk Campbell has expanded into a full farmstead complete with a log kitchen, log granary, 2-crib barn, outhouse and family cemetery. The house was relocated to the park in 1984 when its original location was in danger of demolition due to highway expansion at Kansas and James River Expressways. Volunteer docents open the buildings and tell their stories on most Sundays from April – October 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Hands-on educational experiences have been created especially with 5th grade curriculum and can be scheduled April – May or September – October. Sponsorship with the Friends of the Farmstead or the Friends of the Garden allows for the on-going maintenance of the historic buildings as well as developing future displays, programs and activities.